Eggplant and Polenta Casserole
By November 13, 2012Published:
Eggplants contain potent antioxidant compounds which protect cells in the body from damage.
- 3 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 5 large plum tomatoes diced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup basil fresh, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant sliced into 1⁄4-inch rounds
- 1 18 oz tube polenta sliced into 1⁄4-inch slices
- to taste Himalayan pink salt
- to taste black pepper ground
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and salt, balsamic vinegar, italian seasoning, basil and black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large skillet heat another tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add polenta slices in a single layer and cook until brown on both sides.Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Lightly brush eggplant slices with the remaining tablespoon oil.Working in batches, lay slices in skillet in a single layer ; cook until browned and they begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes per side.Transfer to a plate.
- Spoon enough sauce to evenly cover the bottom of a greased baking dish. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer. Arrange polenta slices in a single layer on top. Repeat with sauce and another layer of eggplant and polenta. Finish by topping it with remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake until bubbling, about 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking about 15 minutes more. Remove from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 60 mins