By November 9, 2012Published:
Quinoa is higher in fiber than most whole grains. Fiber from whole grains has been shown to be protective against breast cancer and cardiovascular disease.
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 cup vegetable broth recipe »
- 1/2 cup tomato diced
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning
- to taste Himalayan pink salt
- to taste black pepper ground
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lemon or lime, freshly juiced
- In a medium stock pot, heat oil on medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender and translucent, 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin and chili powder and sauté for one minute.
- Add the quinoa, broth, tomato, taco seasoning, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the the quinoa is tender and liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with cilantro and a squeeze of lemon or lime to taste.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 35 mins