Tofu and Broccoli Stir Fry
By November 10, 2012Published:
A single stalk of broccoli contains 3 grams of protein which is about as much as an ounce of chicken breast.
- 12 oz tofu extra firm, drained, cut in half into 2 slabs and then cut diagonally into triangle shaped pieces
- 3 cups broccoli stalks trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1⁄4-inch rounds, florets separated into small pieces
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup cashews toasted
- to taste Himalayan pink salt
- Wrap tofu in 3 or 4 layers of paper towels and gently press out as much water as possible, changing the paper towels once or twice as needed.
- Steam broccoli in a steamer pot for 5 minutes and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together 1 tablespoon grape seed oil, turmeric, salt and red chili powder. Then add drained tofu to bowl and toss to coat.
- Heat the other tablespoon grape seed oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tofu; cook until golden brown on each side, turning gently. Transfer to a bowl once browned.
- To make sauce, use a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, red chili flakes, garlic, cornstarch, and 3⁄4 cup water. Set aside.
- Add broccoli to skillet; cook over high heat, stirring often, until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk reserved sauce to combine, pour into skillet. Return tofu to skillet, stir to coat, and cook for 1 minute.
- Garnish with cashews.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 40 mins